Friday, March 18, 2011

Digby-Bridgetown and the shore.

It was one of the first nice days that I was off so I decided to go for a short ride around the area. I had not been down the 201 highway in a very long time so I decided to try that.  It's a nice back road with lots of farms and rural properties. 
Here is a quick screen shot of the map area.




But first off on the way out is the Bear river bridge that was finally resurfaced last fall. The old rial way line is unused. 
Bear river bridge.



After Deep Brook you will come across the old military training base at Cornwallis. It used to train recruits for the Canadian Forces and has been around since the Fifties as H.M.C.S. Cornwallis. I took my basic training there in 1988 and it sure brings back memories!!  Running around the base with instructors yelling at you!! Quite a time and it was very character building!!  Here are some snaps of the old base. It is now a business park after it was closed by the military. 


Old T-33 star fighter at the main gate.

At the main gate. An old tank.

Old base housing. I often wished I was staying there instead of in barracks!!

Training building.


After Cornwallis is the small village of Clementsport.  It is very scenic and quaint. 


Old rail line through Clementsport.

Clementsport










Also on the number 1 highway towards the 201 you will pass by the Upper Clements Park. It's a fun place with an old wooden roller coaster and water slides etc.

Upper Clements Gate

After the park you will ride along the road with homes and rural area beside the road. The next little town is Annapolis Royal. I did not go to the Fort this time but went through town to look around. There are many very nice large old Victorian homes and they are beautiful. 
There is a neat old brick building in town and here it is...


The most imposing building in Lower Town is the old post office. It was built in about 1890 at the corner of St. George and Church streets, following the 1888 fire. It also housed the customs office. A survivor of the fire of 1920, the building remained as the post office until 1967, when a modern post office was built on Victoria Street. Most recently used as a restaurant, the empty building has recently been sold and is being restored as retail space.


After that I went over to the Tidal power project but it was closed for the season. Oh well maybe later. I have been in there before, just not for a long time.


Annapois Tidal Power


I then turned onto the 201 highway out of Annapolis Royal. This route takes you through Moschelle, Round Hill, Tupperville and Centerlea. I turned into Bridgetown from here and went across the "mountain" to the shore and Hampton. A small fishing village.


Hampton Wharf

Lighthouse at Hampton.


A nice quiet scenic place. From there I decided to ride along the shore to Parker's Cove where I would go back across the North "mountain" and back into Annapolis Royal. 
The road along the shore is a great ride and at times you are only 30ft or so from the shore and it is neat to be that close to the water. It doesn't hurt that the road is twisty as well. 
The road along the shore. (Shore Rd West)


From there back along to Annapolis and then back home. 
Temp was OK but it got cool in the evening and I was cold when I got home.  Thanks for reading I hope you enjoyed it. 


Feel free to post any questions you might have about riding in this area.

2 comments:

  1. Another great ride promoting the excellent opportunities that exist on the roads less traveled in the Annapolis Valley!
    Great photography and commentary on the wonderful scenery you encounter on your travels. Can't wait to try this route myself.

    ReplyDelete