Tuesday, March 1, 2011

The French Shore

Well once I had my motorcycle I figured I may as well ride it!! So where to go. Well since I am from South West Nova, I figured a good place to go would be the French shore area. I have heard it was scenic and was not disappointed.

So here is a link to the route. Google Map

Along the 101. After Digby the 101 is not controlled access anymore and there are homes and driveways all along it. There is a nice spot in Gilbert's Cove that is very nice and there is an old lighthouse on the point that you must see. They have also put in a tea room and some old pictures of the local area way back when.

The above photo was taken across the small bay in Gilbert's Cove. The lighthouse is way in the background here.






The very large stone church in Saint Bernard. That must have been a lot of work! Hmm is this where all the dogs come from?? I didn't see any so I guess not.


Also along Rte 1 is a wharf with some fishing boats near Saint Bernard. GPS of 44.388641,-66.061341 if you really want to locate it.


A nice day and the tide was out. I am not sure if that lighthouse still works or not. There wasn't anyone around to ask.

Keep going down the road to Saint Anne and you will see another very large church. This one is wooden and is one of the largest in North America apparently.


Wow that is large!!
Continue on down the road and the next place I stopped was at Cape Saint Mary's lighthouse. Located on the point with a nice view.
After leaving there I drove around the road and across the beach area for a picture of the beach area. It was September and not very warm, so there wasn't anyone on the beach. It must be awesome on a hot day though.
Lot's of room for everyone to play and enjoy the water on a hot day.  I will get down there this summer (2011) and see what it's like. I bet it's not that crowded since it is a bit off the beaten path.

I also stopped in Port Maitland for a quick look. It also has a nice enough beach and a wharf with boats.

On the road again. I didn't stop until I saw this sign outside of Yarmouth which I thought was cool since it is my namesake I guess. Plus I loved the policeman directing you to stay there!


Well that's it for now. I hope you enjoyed the pics. It is my first blog post and I will add more posts with more information along the way. Such as gas stops or interesting places etc.

Thank you!!

No comments:

Post a Comment