Sunday, September 16, 2012

PEI trip

Finally a ride to PEI. Had a couple days off so I figured I would go to PEI and see what I could see. I have always wanted to go and since I live fairly close I really should do it.

Below is a map of what my basic route was. I didn't get to the eastern side of the island much as I only had the one full day of riding and the next morning.  But you can only do what you can do. I will get back there and ride the eastern half another day.
I stupidly thought I could ride the whole island in one day. Maybe you could but you wouldn't see everything and there wouldn't be much stopping.



So I am driving along and need a break so I take a rest in Tatamagouche. I look around and there is a Steadman's sign. Now normally these are all closed and the only thing left is the sign. But I look inside and it's a fully functioning Steadmans. Wow I haven't seen of of these stores operating for years. They have mostly closed down due to the box stores killing them off. But in Tatamagouche that wouldn't be a problem!!  A blast from the past.


Leaving town along the road I am also struck by how little traffic there is on the road. There is the occasional vehicle but nothing like it would be in the full summer I guess. So the riding is good and easy and no traffic to sit behind. Most of the roads look like this.
 I take the roads along the shore and into New Brunswick. Once into NB it looks like you are on a road that will end. It's just tar seal and is very local and it feels like it will end at any time. But you pop out near the highway to the bridge. It's a great route to take as there isn't any traffic and it's very scenic.

So the confederation bridge in all her glory. It went up in 1997 but it's still quite a feat considering the tides that flow through it everyday and the ice n the winter.


So over I go and get into Borden-Carleton which is just over the bridge.

It's neat little place that makes it's entire life on the tourists that flock to PEI in the summer. It has a large area of shops and restaurants that cater to folks passing through.

I decided to stay at the Sun_N_Shade campground. It's located right in Borden-Carleton so I figured it was central and would do as a good spot to ride from.  Here is the entrance below.  It was a good spot with clean bathrooms and showers. Plus 1. The WIFI was a little weak (-1) but it worked so I could stay in touch.  It was quiet and peaceful. Plus 1 .


I pulled into a tent spot and saw a motorcycle in the spot next to me. Doug came over and introduced himself. He is riding all over the Americas and having a good time. Look for his posts on ADV Rider forums.

He is on a MotoGuzzi 1200 cc bike that he really likes and that is doing a great job for him. I must say it's a nice looking bike! Best of luck in all your travels Doug. (Toad on the road on ADV rider)

Now I couldn't find my tent when I packed up so I bought one at Canadian Tire before I left said it could sleep 2 but made for one. Hey that shoudl work. ..NOT..maybe if you are 5'5" or less. Damn that sucked the first night! Oh well live and learn.


So the next day I got up early, no sense laying in there awake, and went riding. Along the Western side of PEI first.  Very nice scenery along the way with a view of the bridge in the background there.



Here is  a closer view of the bridge from this side. 


I went by the old military base that was in Summerside. It was called Slemon park and I went in for a look. Everything has been changed over to civilian use and there is an industrial park there now. But a nice little park in the front that has these old planes on display. That is an ARGUS.


This is just a view of the roadway along one of the shore areas. No traffic and easy riding. Most of the island was like that.

Until I took a route to Alaska. Yup Alaska, didn't even see a sign but I guess I rode through it as I came out on the other end! Too bad I would have liked a pic with the sign. Probably stolen. But my first PEI dirt at least. It sure is red.


This is where Alaska PE is on the map.  Just as you start going around the eastern end of PEI.  Very small,not even a sign! But a nice scenic road.


After that I went along until I got to the point on the 14 highway that led to Cedar Dunes provincial park. A neat place with a nice lighthouse and sandy beach with big sand dunes.

 This is a nice spot and the picture taken from the highway. This is along the northern portion of the western ride that I took.
This is looking out at the beach near the lighthouse. Inviting.




I decided to go all the way up to the tip of the island on the Eastern side. It is the North Cape. There is a  wind test site there and along the road there is a little fishing spot where I took this picture.


This is the overall view of the fishing spot. 


This is the test site with all the windmills and such. There is a centre to visit with gifts and an interpretive tour through a display.


This is the lighthouse on site. It has been moved I think they said but still here.


Just another couple of scenic views.



The next day I rode near Charlottetown and went to a lighthouse that is across the bay from Charlottetown. There is a national park there but it was closed. Late in the season I guess.


This is a lighthouse at Rocky Point.


This was taken from on the grounds of the park. You can just see Charlottetown off in the background.

These suckers are everywhere. Man are they big too. Wow, there was a site that must have had over 40 of them. I would love to plug one of these into my meter!!



Overall I had a good time and the riding in PEI is great. There really is a nice view around each corner. Also I didn't realize how many Acadians were in PEI! The whole eastern coast seemed to be covered in acadian fags on everyone's yard. Lot's of French names in the map as well. Lot's of culture.

I will be back again and finish the rest of the province.

I hope you enjoyed reading and looking at the photos. Drop me a comment if you wish.






No comments:

Post a Comment