Sunday, May 27, 2012

Liverpool and Bridgewater

So a nice day was forecast and I had a day off. So I figured I would go over towards the opposite shore and explore some coastline I have not had the chance to see yet. So I went towards Liverpool and then Bridgewater. Taking in the shore. Here is a look at the route.  (Click pics for larger versions)





I chose the route through Victory and then onto the Number 8 highway to Liverpool. It's a fun ride and it consists of dirt along the Victory portion. You could get a car through, as I think many people do as there are lots of cottages on it. Possible bear sightings along the commercial berry fields are exciting too.

So start off by taking exit 25 at Smith's cove but go the other way towards Bear River.


Then once you see this sign take the right turn and go down Jefferson Rd. You will go through Greenland which is a very small little area with a few homes.


Once through Victory you will arrive on the number 8 highway and go right towards Liverpool. After a few kilometers you will see a sign on the right and a nice little picnic pullout area.

This sign tells about the beginnings of the area. 

The picnic area and the river.

No rolling around in the grass or some naughty activity if travelling with your girlfriend as that could go bad!!

The river from the small bridge. 

A note to fishermen. Invasive species are a problem everywhere I guess. 

This spot is a few more kilometers along the road. I didn't go in but just captured the sign picture. 

Once in Liverpool I realized I was missing a bolt that holds on the back rack. For a second time. Damn it again?? So I went in here and they were very helpful. Let me borrow a 13mm wrench to put the bolt in and let wash up in the staff bathroom after I got all dirty putting it in.  Home Hardware stores are nice and helpful. So try these folks if you need anything in Liverpool. 

Fort Point lighthouse in Liverpool. It's a nice scenic spot and is right in Liverpool, so if you are there it's an easy look. A good walk around the property will stretch your legs after a long ride and the sea breezes will cool you off. 


Once in Liverpool there is the Fort Point light. A nice little spot with a gift shop and some information about it's history. 

                             The lighthouse itself with the gift shop on this side.
The story about the privateers history. Liverpool was a base for privateers. 

Guarding the shore of Liverpool. 


 Once out of Liverpool I went off and rode the shoreline. I rode so far I came to East Berlin! Didn't see an old wall or anything though!! I have no idea what a Pudding Pan is but apparently it is from around 1812.
I missed getting a picture of the West Berlin sign but you ride through it before getting to East Berlin.

The beach near East Berlin on East Berlin road. 

Along the Brooklyn Shore road.  The sign tells you about Coffin Island. The lighthouse on it and it's history in the area. Named for a family name Coffin and not some other more dire derivative. Read all about it here. 



This is a picture of the fish shacks or huts out on the island. 


Right out at the end of the road is a sand beach. But it's closed somewhat as it is a nesting area for Plovers. Cool. I didn't see any but maybe next time. 


A patriotic person had this in their yard. Good guy!! 

Port Medway is a small fishing spot and some folks were bringing in their catch as I walked around. 

Sign giving a bit of the history of the area. 

About to dock in Port Medway and unload the catch. 

Port Medway lighthouse.

A sign telling you approximately where you are in the grand scheme of things. Well not so grand but you get the idea. After this it was off to the LaHave river area. It divides the land for quite awhile and at the start is Bridgewater. There is a ferry where you can cross but the times didn't work out and I rode along the river up to Bridgewater. One day I will take it for some fun. The ride along the LaHave is fun and has some great twists and great views of the other side. 

History of the LaHave light. 

This is the light on the LaHave river. 


I saw two of these guys today. They are Blandings turtles and are endangered. I picked them up and moved them off the road. Both tried to pee on me without any luck. HA! 

So from there it was back home via the number 8 and back through Bear River again. Was a nice day even though a little colder than I thought it would be. The breeze was blowing off the water onto the land and that makes a huge difference in temperature. 
I hope you get down into this area as it's very neat and there are so many small villages and great back roads to ride and relax on. 


No comments:

Post a Comment