Sunday, April 27, 2014

Ride to Wedgeport Saturday April 26

It was sunny but not very warm on Saturday. At least it wasn't raining as it had been and it was also calling for rain for many days after today. So I figured if I was going to ride it had better be today.
Where to go? I though a ride down to Wedgeport might be good, I have not been there before and maybe someone would be fishing for tuna.
 

 
That is the route I took. I kept to the number 1 Highway instead of the 101 which is just boring slab. The #1 has all the small towns and winding roads.
So I stopped in at Gilberts Cove lighthouse for a look around. I have been there many times but I really like it. In the summer you can go inside and look around, they have lots of old pictures and history to see. Plus I can take a picture of the bike in front of the lighthouse.
 
 
So that's the new V Strom in Gilbert's Cove.
 
 
A view of the lighthouse and the anchor.
To get here it is a small dirt road of only 1000m or so, maybe less. But it's in good shape and in the summer you can see cruisers and such in the lot.
 
 
This is Meteghan wharf area. It's a fishing village of mostly Acadian descent. It has a Tim Horton's so you can get your fix here or stop for a snack if you desire.
 
 
This is Mavillette beach. It's grey and overcast today but on a sunny day it is really beautiful. There is a lot of sand to walk on and enjoy. It's a great place to have a brake and explore the beach. Off in the distance on that point is a lighthouse. You can drive right up to it and look around.
 
 
After Mavillette I went to Wedgeport for a look around. There isn't much going on right now but I guess once tuna season begins it is very active with folks trying to catch a nice big tuna. That would be a trip for sure. But right now it's cold and windy. It's way colder here than Digby, I guess since it is right on the Atlantic ocean instead of the Bay of Fundy.  
 
I wasn't very prolific with the camera but once it warms up I hope to get out and take a lot of photos to post here on the rides. Until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment